Sometimes after a day of watching the kids, running errands and cleaning the house, all I want to do is sit back and relax. Trouble is, it’s tough to earn money when you’re relaxing.
I love playing games on my phone or tablet and PlaytestCloud runs game tests. The only thing you need to take part is a smartphone or tablet and a set of headphones with a microphone.
How to Start
When you sign up with PlaytestCloud you’ll be asked a series of profile questions including name, age, native language, types of devices you can play games on (e.g. laptop, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, etc.) and your favorite games. Once you’ve filled that out, PlaytestCloud will contact you when they have a game test that fits your profile.
When there’s a game test available, PlaytestCloud will email you. The email will tell you which device the test is for and what the pay is. If you want to participate, follow the link in the email to download the game.
If you want to play, download and play as soon as possible. PlaytestCloud sends the offer to every tester that meets the test criteria. Once enough of the testers download the app, the test is closed to everyone else. If you don’t act fast, you don’t get to test.
When you download the game, open it up and follow the instructions. There’s a video that will tell you how to hook up the mic and headphones and to find a quiet place to complete the test. I missed out on a few tests because I couldn’t try the game out until the kids were in bed. That’s the one downside of this gig.
The video will tell you to talk outloud as you play. It’s a little strange at first, but you get used to it. I find myself rambling at times, but I think the testers like that.
You’re usually asked to play for 30-45 minutes. Then you answer a short survey and you’re done.
A few days later, the money winds up in your PayPal account.
The Bottom Line
- You get paid to play games, so if you love games, this side gig is for you.
- The pay is super quick and it’s good. I did a test that took less than an hour and made $11.
- Communication is great. I haven’t had a problem so far.
- This is a semi-minus, but you have to be somewhere with wi-fi or have a good data plan on your cell phone. You’re uploading video to PlaytestCloud showing you playing the game. Some of that video is 30-45 minutes long.
- There are a limited number of tests. I’ve been able to do one about every two months.
- Sometimes I feel weird talking outloud.
This is totally doable with kids if you can keep them quite. I’m talking naptime or bedtime. The pay is solid and you don’t have to leave the house which is super cool. I’m definitely up for a Playtest if it’s offered to me.